Hotels and Transportation
The climate is mild in both summer and winter, producing Mediterranean vegetation, with beautiful gardens growing rare and exotic plants. Well-known gardens include those of the Isola Madre, Isola Bella, Villa Taranto in Verbania and the Alpinia botanical garden above Stresa.
The Conference will be at the Grand Hotel Dino, where a certain number of rooms have been reserved. In addition, other rooms have been also pre-booked at the Hotel Simplon, which is connected directly to the Hotel Dino and the Conference area.
To book your accommodation and to obtain the SMASH prices below, you must book using the SMASH 2017 Hotel Reservation Form (This is a PDF form and will not work correctly from inside the browser. To fill and file, right click on the link, save the PDF form to your computer and open it in Adobe Acrobat Reader).
Primary Hotel (meeting venue)
- Grand Hotel Dino
- €185, 00/night (double room for single use, per room, per night)*
- €220, 00/night (double room for double use, per room, per night)*
- Hotel Simplon
- €150, 00/night (double for single use, per room, per night)*
- €185, 00/night (double room for double use, per room, per night)*
*including breakfast and taxes
You can drive, train or fly to Baveno (or even come to by boat down Lago Maggiore from Switzerland for something a little different!)
If you are flying in we strongly recommend that you fly into Milan Malpensa (MXP) airport. Malpensa is much closer to Baveno than any other Milan airport, and takes <1 hour on public transport. Milan Linate Airport or Milan Orio al Serio Airport are much further away and the travel connections may take you several hours to negotiate.
MILAN MALPENSA AIRPORT (MXP) is strongly recommended to you. It is about 35 km from Baveno, and has very wide connections within Europe and to the rest of the world flight connections can be found here please note this webpage has an error, so click on the 'Africa' tab in order to see connections from Europe!).
Or you could go to Milan Central Station (about 1 hour) with the Malpensa Express and from there take a train to Stresa (about 1 hour, search here for the train timetable) and then a taxi to Baveno (around 5 minutes).
From here you can either:
- travel to Malpensa airport by bus (>1 hour) and take the bus from there to Baveno (as above under MXP airport)
- Or a taxi (10 minutes) or a bus to Milan Central train station (see here for details) and from there the best 2 options are the following: 1) take the Malpensa Express train to Malpensa airport (about 1 hour): timetable at Malpensa Express (you could buy the ticket online ahead of time) and take the bus from there to Baveno (as above for the MXP airport); or 2) take a train to Stresa (about 1 hour, search here for the train timetable, you could buy the ticket online ahead of time) and then a taxi to Baveno (around 5 minutes).
MILAN ORIO AL SERIO/BERGAMO AIRPORT (BGY) is about 130 Km far away from Baveno but on the opposite side of Milan.
From there you could take directly a bus (you could buy the ticket directly on the buses and there are several options just outside of the Arrival, with RyanAir you could by the ticket also on the plane or at the starting airport) to Milan Central train station (> 1 hour) and from there the best 2 options are the following: